New Jersey Governor Chris Christie was challenged by casino workers over jobs, as three of the city’s casinos face imminent closing. Christie, who was at Ocean City Town Hall to discuss pension reforms, was greeted on his arrival by a small grouping of workers from the threatened Revel, Showboat and Trump Plaza, chanting ‘Save our Jobs’ and ‘Five Year Promise.’
Each year to bring more flights to the Atlantic City airport, promote more convention business and raise private investment into the casino market in 2011 Christie issued a five-year plan that promised to fix the New Jersey economy, offering millions of dollars.
Revel was a ingredient that is key Christie’s designs for Atlantic City. Conceived before the recession, construction of the Revel project started in 2008, just because the downturn that is economic, and Revel Inc discovered it self in financial serious straits, especially when backers, Morgan Stanley, pulled out soon after.
The whole project has been a complete disaster, consistently taking a loss since it opened in 2012 and more recently hemorrhaging $2 million per week
Christie, for who Revel represented the promise of a gleaming, revitalized Atlantic City, intervened having a $261 million buck bailout in taxation credits and new loan, hopeless to see the $2.4 billion project through to conclusion.
Has the Five Year Plan Failed?
There are few clearer symbols associated with failure of this five-year plan, then, than the recent news that Revel will close on September 1st. The entire project has been a complete disaster, consistently losing money since it opened in 2012 and more recently hemorrhaging $2 million each week.
Because of the Showboat plus the Trump Plaza also likely to close within the next few weeks, increasing unemployment created by the closure associated with the Atlantic Club from the beginning of the year, casino workers are now demanding action and reassurance.
‘ For all those individuals who we saw I hear you,’ Christie told the crowd as I was walking in chanting, ‘Save our jobs. ‘we have always been plugged in, I am listening and i will be working.’ But he additionally said that while his administration was working with private companies to locate more jobs, there was little he could do in order to force the casinos to remain available.
Summit to Address Future of AC
Christie announced the day that is previous a summit would be held on September 8, in which political leaders and casino industry officials to talk about a method forward for Atlantic City. However, Showboat worker of 27 years Cindy Pemberton told Christie that it is too little, too belated. ‘If we wait two weeks, Showboat are closed,’ she stated.
‘The government can’t order private businesses to do things,’ Christie informed her. ‘ And you don’t wish to live in a world where we do … What you’re asking me to do is become the CEO of Showboat. I don’t wish to run Showboat.
‘[We’re] trying to come up with an answer that could assist you among others save your jobs,’ he added. ‘That’s just what our goal is.’
The Governor additionally told the crowd that he is ‘thinking about’ a 2016 run that is presidential. In response to a concern from people, he said: ‘It is an decision that is enormous make not just for me, but my family. Probably by the end of the or the start of next we’ll decide. year’
Whitey Bulger Appeals 2013 Conviction
Whitey Bulger says he was banned to present an immunity defense at his 2013 test. (Image: NewRepublic.com)
James ‘Whitey’ Bulger was convicted on 31 counts last year, including charges associated with his involvement in 11 murders. That was enough to earn the former mastermind that is criminal FBI informant two consecutive life terms in prison and a cell at the United States Penitentiary in Tucson, Arizona.
But if anyone thought that Bulger was going down without having a fight, he’s intending to prove all of them incorrect.
Solicitors for Bulger are asking a federal appeals court to overturn his conviction for playing those 11 murders, arguing that the judge in the case ‘constitutionally deprived Mr. Bulger of his right to present an effective protection.’
That argument is presented in a 201-page filing that ended up being delivered to the united states Court of Appeals for the initial Circuit by lawyers Hank Brennan and James Budreau.
Bulger Wanted to Testify
According to lawyers, Bulger desired to take the stand in his very own defense during the trial. Nevertheless, US District Judge Denise Casper had barred Bulger from telling the jury which he had been promised immunity from all crimes by a now-dead prosecutor that is federal.
‘The court ruled that the defense could perhaps not raise the immunity defense at trial in almost any form, including the defendant’s own testimony at test,’ Bulger’s appropriate team had written. ‘This error effected the fairness that is fundamental of Bulger’s trial and his convictions should be automatically reversed as a result.’
Bulger, that is now 84 years old, planned to inform jurors that prosecutor Jeremiah T. O’Sullivan had guaranteed him complete resistance in exchange for Bulger’s vow to protect ‘his life.’ But Judge Casper would not enable that defense, stating that Bulger had no documentation to support his claims, and that even in the event this kind of agreement had taken spot, O’Sullivan had no authority to offer this kind of promise.
The protection in turn argued that as the mind of the New England Organized Crime Strike Force, O’Sullivan could indeed make such a deal.
Without the cap ability to bring up this defense, attorneys say that Bulger had been left with no reason to testify in his or her own defense at last summer’s test.
Prosecutors Dispute Claims
Prosecutors, however, tell a different tale about exactly what took place during the trial that is sensational. According to former associate US attorney Brian T. Kelly, several judges had offered Bulger the chance to provide a resistance defense ahead of the trial itself, but he had made the tactical choice to decline that opportunity.
‘no license was had by him to kill or every other immunity agreement, and he repeatedly failed to simply take the opportunity to present it,’ Kelly said.
Instead, prosecutors claim, Bulger likely did not take the stand in order to avoid a cross-examination in which he would experienced to answer questions that are endless his functions in crimes, including the 19 murders he was accused of participating in.
Ultimately, the jury found that Bulger took part in 11 murders, while finding that prosecutors had unsuccessful to offer evidence that is enough convict him on seven others. On the final count, which involved the murder of Debra Davis in 1981, the jury was struggling to reach a verdict.
Bulger’s solicitors defended their client by trying to refute much of what appeared in Bulger’s FBI informant file, which alleged that he served as an informant from 1975 to 1990. The lawyers say that Bulger wanted to testify to ‘the systemic corruption that existed in the federal government during the 1970s through 1990s and the political and institutional motivations that led Jeremiah O’Sullivan and the Strike Force to provide immunity to James Bulger. in their appeal’
Massachusetts Casino Repeal Campaigns Begin
Anti-casino groups are gearing up for another fight ahead of A november repeal vote. (Image: The Republican)
The Massachusetts casino repeal vote promises to be among the biggest governmental video gaming battles of 2014.
It pits major casino developers and their supporters against anti-casino advocates whom are hoping to move back regulations that allowed for three casinos and a slot parlor to be built in hawaii. Sufficient reason for under 90 days until that vote will take place, it is time for the genuine campaigning to begin.
Both pro- and anti-casino forces have announced they’ll be starting up their campaign operations this week within an effort to persuade voters to come straight down on the side of the issue that is contentious.
The statewide vote, planned for November, will determine whether the state’s casino legislation are going to be repealed, or if casino developers can go forward along with their plans to build Las Vegas-style resorts.
Political Groups Begin Lining Through To Both Sides
On the pro-casino part, efforts seem to be led by the Committee to Protect Massachusetts Jobs. The group that is political funded primarily by MGM Resorts, Mohegan Sun and Penn National, said on Monday that they’ve been preparing for three weeks to launch ‘an substantial ground work.’
Pro-casino forces have touted the thousands of jobs they say will be created in the event that gambling enterprises are permitted become built and operated in the state
Are going to compared by anti-casino groups like Repeal the Casino Deal, the company that successfully were able to get the repeal question on the ballot within the place that is first. That group says that they started their own canvassing and field organizations this past weekend.
For ‘Repeal,’ the goal seems to be calling undecided voters that can be persuaded to oppose the casino bill, especially those in communities which haven’t yet considered casinos and hence might be less educated on the issue.
‘The casino bosses want to ensure this campaign is about everything other than casinos—with a team that conveniently departs casinos out of its title and internet site, materials and campaign theme which conveniently ignores the very genuine impacts this casino mess with have on communities,’ said campaign spokesman Stephen Eisele.
Meanwhile, pro-casino forces have touted the thousands of jobs they say will be developed in the event that gambling enterprises are allowed to be built and operated within the state. The website for the Committee to safeguard Massachusetts Jobs also lists a number of prominent people and groups that support their efforts, including legislators, chambers of commerce and labor unions.
Grassroots Effort vs. Casino Money
While Repeal the Casino Deal can’t hope to compete with the money that may be spent by the casino companies, they wish their grassroots efforts can produce results. The group already boasts nearly 1,000 volunteers who canvass and work phone banks to get their message away.
‘We feel the more voters find out about casinos, the not as likely they will be to vote for them,’ said campaign manager Darek Barcikowski. ‘we believe you’ll agree casinos are not economic machines; they’re economic vacuum cleaners. if you look at Atlantic City along with other communities that purchased into the promises of casinos,’
Although the results of the November vote certainly have the possibility of high drama, there are still other issues that require to be sorted out in the meantime. Many prominently, the battle for the Greater Boston area casino license is still to be determined. Wynn Resorts wants to develop a casino in Everett, while Mohegan Sun and Suffolk Downs are proposing a resort in Revere. The state video gaming commission is expected to award a license to one among these bids by September.